11/06/2010

A Hectic Korean Wedding

Even after the wedding party started, the long line of visitors never ended. When the line ended at last (!! in two hours or so?) and I took a sigh of relief, the party was over.

This is what happened about 3 years ago when I attended the wedding party of my brother-in-law in Seoul. With his cousins and brother, I was one of receptionists welcoming all the visiting guests. It wasn't supposed to be like that. When I took a flight from Tokyo, had never dreamed of it. Just imagined myself having a gorgeous meal and seeing the couple with smile. But, another cousin didn't show up and I took his part.

Later I heard that the visitors exceeded 800 (!!) on that day. (Not sure if this is normal in Korea, but 50 to 100 maybe in Japan?) The groom is a very nice guy, but not that famous like an actor or musician. He is an ordinary businessperson. And his wife a school teacher. They hadn't estimated how many people were coming. The hall wasn't big enough to have all the guests, so many guests were guided to other rooms, and watched the ceremony through TVs. Still other visitors just showed up, passed a tip, and were gone.

Japan, on the other hand, has a perfectly planned wedding party. A bride and a groom takes months to prepare their wedding. Time schedules are arranged. Tables and seats are allocated by the ages and relationships with the bride and groom. All the (invited) guests show up before the ceremony starts. Receptionists (generally friends of the bride and groom) are able to enjoy the party (By the way, I had a good meal with other receptionists after the party in Seoul).

As having attended my old colleague's wedding party in Yokohama last month, it reminded me of the Korean wedding. And differences between the two countries.

No comments: