3/14/2008

Double White: White Plan on White Day

As long as I know, Korean, Taiwanese and Japanese are the only ones who celebrate "White Day" on March 14. Unlike US, girls (not boys) give chocolate to boys on Valentine's Day (February 14), as an expression of love, and vice versa on White Day.

However, this year's White Day is special to me. It's not that this is my very first White Day to have chocolate from girls and I have to give 'em flowers/cookies, or that I've been too shy to express my love to a girl. It is today that I quit my job.

As quiting my job after having worked for 7 years, I became 백수 (白手) on White Day. 백수 is unemployed - literally, it means white (or empty) hands. I haven't yet found my new job (just started to google one. Wish me luck!), but I've been thinking about leaving the company ever since I got this job.

My take-home income is not bad. I like my job. The company has global business opportunities. I had chances to travel around New York, Kansas, San Francisco, Detroit, Seoul, Beijing and Delhi. Colleagues are real nice (and most importantly girls are pretty).

Yet, I've never imagined that I was gonna work in the Tokyo office for 7 years. I was expecting to work in Tokyo for the first couple of years and then abroad. This never happened even though I've kept saying I wanna work abroad.

Secondly, the company is too Japanese. Japanese are everywhere not only in the Tokyo office but also in overseas branches. As having started to work in Tokyo, I was disappointed with this lack of diversity. Later, as visiting overseas branches, I was even more disappointed to learn most of colleagues are fluent in Japanese (but no English).

Not sure yet whether I can find my dream job. Still, I'm so thrilled tonight. This is my brand new White Day. Happy White Day to y'all!!

PS. "Boys, be ambitious!!" Will anyone play "Softbankごっこ" (Sofbank Game) with me?

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy White Valentine's day! I wish you a good luck in finding a dream job - my fingers are crossed. Let's keep in touch.

Anonymous said...

来月からお小遣いカットします。I love you so much!!

dizzytomi29 said...

Hey, now that you have the time. Drop by anytime to have a cup of coffee! :-)
Good luck in finding a new job. No doubt someone will be looking for your experience.

katsu-g said...

Thanks, Sayu.
So, when r u goin' back to the States?

katsu-g said...

Tomi, now you've gotta buy me a Venti size cup of coffee! Or gimme your mileage!!

katsu-g said...

Jiny, we need to talk...