5/20/2007

Glocal Warming (posted on Feb 28, 2007)

Everybody seems conscious about global warming now, partly thanks to Al Gore's "an Inconvenient Truth." But, did you know that the COLD war had prevented the planet from global warming for a long, long time?

Okay, no more joke.

Anyways, what each of us can do for stopping global warming is a tiny thing. Still, that's exactly what we have to do right now. Here's an example.

Last weekend I went to a sushi restaurant in Tokyo for having dinner with my friends. You know, sushi is one of grrrreat Japanese cuisines that uses neither electricity nor gas. We got there around 7pm, but a score of people were already lining outside the restaurant. We had to wait for more than an hour on a freezing and windy street. (Maybe it was a little less cold thanks to global warming, though.)


Then, we found a cause of global warming there! A huge stove was warming the planet just in front of the restaurant. So, my friend and I decided to stop global warming by blocking it, and many others (all those strangers in the line) joined us. I was so impressed. I felt so good. And warm.


Think Global, Act Local.

PS. Many thanks to Tomi and his wife for waiting in the line for a long time even before I arrived.

No comments: